Frequently Asked Questions – Pātai Putuputu

Frequently asked questions

What if my child is absent?

You can complete this form below relating to an absence or ring the school (04 472 4779) before 9am or even the evening before.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Student name
Parent name

To leave a phone message we need the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your child’s name
  • The reason for your child’s absence (e.g. sick, dentist, holiday, etc.)
  • The teacher’s name or room

If no absence message is left the office will ring parents to enquire about the absence. 

The Ministry of Education requires the school to record a reason for your child’s absence.

When is the school open?

The school is open Monday to Friday from 8.30 am until 3.00 pm. Class starts at 8.55 am.

Bell times are:

  • 8.50 am – First bell – time to go to class
  • 8.55 am – Start of school
  • 10.40 am – Morning tea
  • 11.00 am – Back to class
  • 12.30 pm – Lunch
  • 12.40 pm – Play
  • 1.25 pm – Time to go to class
  • 1.30 pm – Class starts
  • 3.00 pm – End of school

What are the term dates for next year?

Our term dates are based off the following information provided by the Ministry of Education

Term dates can be found on our calendar page here

How do I sign my child out of school?

Rose Street: Please ask your child to come to the school office to wait for you.  They will sign themselves out using our VisTab system while they wait for you to pick them up from the office. We cannot allow children being unsupervised at the school entrances during school times.

Weld Street: Please come to Room 1 and ask the teacher to sign your child out.

When can I contact the office?

The office is open from 8.00 am until 4.30 pm Monday to Friday. You can come in and talk to our friendly office staff, phone on 04 472 4779, or email

How do I change my contact details?

You can either:

  • phone the office on  04 472 4779 (from 8.00 am until 4.30 pm Monday to Friday during term time) ; or
  • come in and talk to our friendly office staff; or
  • email
  • or complete the form
Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Student Name
Parent Name
Emergency Contact 1 to be added
Emergency Contact 2 to be added

How will I know if an event is cancelled?

When a school event is cancelled there are three ways families are notified:

  • School website: Go to the Calendar section of the website
  • Email: a short email will be sent to the email address in your child’s contact details
  • School phone: ring the school phone (04 472 4779) and select Event updates

What happens in a Civil Defence Emergency?

Civil Defence Emergency information can be found our SchoolDoc page. 

What about before and after-school care?

Before School

Wadestown School does not have any before school care.

After-school care

Pridelands is an after-school childcare centre that offers a pick-up service from Wadestown School to After School Care at Western Suburbs Rugby Club.  If you are interested, please contact Pridelands at 04 907 2225 or check out their website at

Where can I get my child’s stationery?

For Years 0-1, stationery is charged at time of enrolment and will be supplied to students as needed.

Please click HERE if you would like instructions on how to make your own chairbag.

For Years 2-8, stationery requirements are listed on the Office Max MySchool Wadestown Site

Is Wadestown School nut-free?

Wadestown School is a nut-free school. This is for the safety of a number of children attending Wadestown School who have a life-threatening allergy to nuts. This includes nut-based spreads and products containing whole or crushed nuts. It does not include products that are labelled “May contain traces of nuts” or similar.

Bee Healthy (Regional Dental Service)

Dental care is free for children from birth until their 18th birthday.

There are three ways to enrol your child:

  • Complete the online enrolment
  • Call 0800 825 583 and enrol over the phone
  • Visit your nearest Bee Healthy Dental Clinic and fill out the enrolment form

How do I find lost property?

Please ensure all your child’s items are clearly named, including sunhats.

Rose Street:  The lost property containers (blue bins) can be found in the hallway outside the hall. Please check lost property before or after school.

Weld Street:  The lost property container can be found in the hallway outside Room 1. Please check lost property before or after school.

Does my child need a chair bag?

Chairbags are required in Years 1-2. There is a wide selection available for purchase at Weld Street and Rose Street. Alternatively, you can check out

Can my child get lunch at school?

Sushi Lunches is available on Wednesdays only. Go to and register. You can then select from a variety of flavours and 3 pack sizes, and your order can be one-off or ongoing. Please place your order before 9.00am for lunch on the same day.

Lunchonline provides a website through which you can order from Nada Bakery for students on Thursdays only.  Go to and follow the instructions. The deadline for ordering is 9am on the day of delivery.  If you have any questions regarding the Thursday lunch orders please phone Lunchonline 0800 LOL LOL (0800 565 565).