Wadestown School was first opened on the site of the present Side School in Weld Street on 1 June 1881. One of the earliest schools in Wellington, it was built as a single classroom schoolhouse. By 1896 it had been extended twice and is now a three-classroom school. The building was demolished after World War II and rebuilt in the current layout, being officially opened on 15 June 1946. The Main School began as two classrooms on the present Rose Street site, opening in February 1917. There have been a number of renovations and building developments that have occurred on the site since.
A full and detailed written account of the history of the school was written in 2006 in preparation for the 125th Anniversary in November 2006. Copies of this book are available from the school.